[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he Columbus Oceanic 70mt by Columbus Yachts, currently under construction at their Shipyard in Naples, is the result of the collaboration with Studio Vafiadis. Columbus Oceanic is a modern Yacht which complies with the needs of the most demanding contemporary owners. Designed by the “creative partnership” of Georges Vafiadis and Stefano Inglese Vafiadis, his son, is a genuine mixture of experience and inspiration.
Her forward oriented, fresh and dynamic cutting-edge stylistic approach, combined with vast outdoor areas and luxurious interiors, enriched by the serious amount of light from the vast glazing, contribute to deliver an innovative, pleasant and timeless boat.
As in the whole Columbus Yachts Line, the environmentally friendly studies have an important impact on the design, in fact they are all equipped with the hybrid propulsion option among many other environmentally friendly features.
The sea is something we need to respect and preserve for future generations” said Giuseppe Palumbo, CEO of the Group. Palumbo Group was established in Naples in 1967 as a small carpentry and welding workshop for commercial ships. Now, after three generations, it has become one of the largest marine Groups in the Central Mediterranean and is still owned and managed by the founding family.”
The Columbus Oceanic 70m will be the largest super yacht built by Columbus to date, but is a far cry from their largest vessel. Palumbo Group, owners of the Columbus Yacht brand, have extensive experience in ship building on an industrial scale and are well known by many yacht Captains due to their service and refit facilities in Marseille, Malta, and Messina.
An impressive collection of outdoor spaces, with extensive accommodations – more relaxed than formal – are placed at all the decks. Part of this environment are a state-of-the-art beach club/SPA in the aft lower (sized as a 70 meters yacht) facing directly the water through a “gigantic” swimming platform, all accessible from a lobby hidden in the Main Deck, plus an uninterrupted Fly Bridge, ideal both for relax, as well for party, with a well sized jacuzzi and related comfortable and panoramic sunbeds, plus dining and lounging area, all served by a full bar.
The Interiors hosts two big salons on the Main and Upper Deck, that can be the set of formal or more familiar settings, both of them framed by big glazing, offering spectacular views and donating to the ambience a well distributed light. The guest accommodations are spread in a total amount of 6 cabins: 4 of them located strategically on the Main Deck, plus a spectacular owner’s bedroom located in the fore Main Deck, after a private lobby entrance. The last cabin, located in the fore Upper Deck, is a VVIP Suite that can play the role of a small Master.
Large technical spaces plus a Tender Bay and the Engine Room are in the Lower Deck, optimized to offer the best of the space available to the beach area. The same for the well organized crew area, focused on creating the best working environment. Both the elevator and the guest stairs are reaching the Lower Deck with a dedicated entrance to the Owner from the sea that, unused, can become a Gym with direct access to the water.
A side-entering floating garage is just one of the noteworthy features on the yacht, that is foreseen to include a central spiral staircase feature and expansive beach club.
Watch the video of the Columbus Oceanic 70mt
Columbus Oceanic 70m Progress Report
Columbus Yachts report significant progress on the Oceanic 70m in construction in their facility in Naples. Photographs show sizeable sections of the upper hull completed, with interior bulkheads already in place in certain areas. When completed, the 70.6 meter long super yacht will have a beam of 13.4 meters and a Gross Tonnage of around 1950. The Columbus Oceanic 70m not only looks sensational, but she also promises outstanding performance thanks to her award winning propulsion system. Her top speed of 18 knots is very respectable, but by slowing down just a little to 16.6 knots she is still capable of delivering a 3000 nm range. This figure increases to 5000 nm at 11 knots.
The shipyard in details:
- The Group now has a refit and super yacht construction facility in Naples, a commercial shipyard in Messina (Sicily), two refit yards in Malta one for commercial shipping and the other for super yacht, a super yacht refit yard in Marseille.
- In 2008 the Group decided to branch out into luxury yachting and launched their first super yacht in 2011, emblematically christened Prima, the First.
- In 2013 40S Hybrid, the first Yacht of the Sport Hybrid Line was launched and it was an immediate success. The new construction division is located in the commercial port Naples SuperYachtsYard located and includes three covered sheds for new builds. Plans for further development of the Facilities are moreover in progress.
- The yard has 840m (2,755′) of quayside for commissioning and completion works served by two berth-side cranes (7T and 12T) and six telescopic cranes (20T to 700T).
- The berths are equipped with all the necessary shore services. The Company has been certified ISO 9001 since 1998, ISO 14000 since 2005 and conforms to the organizational and management model under the OHSAS 18001 standard.
[divider style=”dashed” top=”20″ bottom=”20″]